Use this kernel configuration for the Lenovo Thinkpad T400 (2767WC8). The configuration was created for the Tuxonice patched kernel. Anyways, it should be a good base to customize and build any kernel according to your needs (file systems, Tuxonice components, etc.).
The configuring focuses on some aspects:
- not modular architecture - everything is compiled into the kernel since it will be loaded anyway
- maximum support for the build-in hardware
- minimum deprecated components
- flags for the compiler optimized for performance not for size
- Truecrypt compatibility
- support for a fully encrypted root file system (initial ramdisk, devicemapper, kryptloop)
- supports tethering over usb
- minimum power consumption (by kernel)
- very few debug facilities
Beware: this is a low latency kernel (ex. for high definition audio applications). You should disable this feature in "Processor type and features" ---> "Preemption Model" if you do not know what this is or do not need it.
To apply this configuration to your kernel, just copy it to /usr/src/linux/ and rename it to .config.
To migrate this configuration to a current one, use make oldconfig.